Picture taken from noiselesschatter.com
Today I am going to be doing The Grinch Book Tag created by Sam from the YouTube channel Thoughtsontomes. If you would like to watch her original video click here and if you would to watch her redo video click here.
1. Half of the lights on the Christmas tree are burnt out : Name a book/series/character that started out good but then went downhill.
The Matched Trilogy by Allie Condie. I liked the first book and I felt like it was a good start to the series and I was intrigued to read the other books, but I felt like the plot kept getting worse with each book. The last book was pretty disappointing and it had the potential to have a great ending!
2. Annoying Great Aunt Sally who will not leave you alone : Name a book that you didn’t enjoy, but everyone else seems to love so it never goes away.
Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell. Just based on what the book is about I should have loved this book, but I didn’t! Yes, I related to the main character a little bit, but other than that I didn’t really enjoy it – it took me forever to actually finish it.
3. Your pets keep knocking over the Christmas decoration : Name a character that kept messing things up for everyone else (can’t pick a villain!)
Lucia from The Falling Kingdoms series. Granted, I’ve only read the first two books so I have no idea if she turns evil or not in the rest of the series. But in the first two books she does a lot of damage, which isn’t her fault for the most part, but still she messes things up royally for everyone. Read the series if you want to find out more!
4. You hear your parents putting out the presents and learn Santa isn’t real: Name a book you were spoiled for.
So, I am going to have to answers for this question, the first is actually a book, and the second is a movie because seriously I’m still kind of upset that this was spoiled for me.
For the book, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince by J.K. Rowling. I’m not going to say what was spoiled but if you read the book you know what I am talking about. And yes, it is kind of my fault for not reading it sooner, but still SPOILERS EVERYWHERE!!!!
And for the movie, Captain America and the Winter Soldier…again, I am not going to say what was spoiled for me, but if you’ve watched it you know what I am talking about. My first time watching it a friend spoiled a big reveal just minutes before it happened, and it ruined the movie because I didn’t get the shock that I would have had if it hadn’t been spoiled for me. I enjoyed it but I would have enjoyed it more if I had not been spoiled for that part of the movie.
5. It’s freezing outside: Name a main character you just couldn’t connect with.
I’m sure there are others that I can’t remember off the top of my head right now, but Emma Woodhouse from Emma by Jane Austen. I CAN’T STAND HER!!! I love Jane Austen, but this is my least favorite book written by her because Emma is a horrible person! I actually like some of the adaptations of the book better because they do convey some redeemable qualities in Emma’s character, but in the book there are no redeeming qualities about her.
6. Mariah Carey’s ‘All I Want for Christmas is You’ and it’s giving you anti-romantic feelings : Name a couple you couldn’t stand.
Jace and Clary. I’ve only read the first two books of The Mortal Instruments series and their whining about not being able to be together for obvious spoilery reasons gets annoying.
7. That scratchy homemade wool sweater you got for Christmas years ago but won’t get rid of : name books that have been sitting on your shelves for a while, and you aren’t motivated to read, but you don’t have the heart to get rid of.
The Throne of Glass series by Sarah J. Maas – only because I am waiting for the last book of the series to come out.
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by J. R. R. Tolkien
The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo
8. Grandma Got Runover by a Reindeer: Name a character death you still are mad about (warn people for spoilers! You can also use TV or movie deaths)
Okay, so like I did for number 4, I am going to do both a book character and a tv/movie character. BEWARE THERE MIGHT BE SPOILERS!!!! PROCEED WITH CAUTION!!!
For a book character it has to be Nehemia from Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas. Even though she was a side character, I loved her and I can’t believe she got killed off.
And, for all you Downton Abbey fans, Matthew Crawley!!!! I’M STILL MAD ABOUT THIS!!!! Especially since after his death, Mary just becomes a worse version of herself that she was before he died. Especially since we had to wait about two seasons for them to get together and then they’re only together for a season. UGH!!! I didn’t realize how mad I still am about this even though I watched it about 2 or 3 years ago.
9. The malls are overly crowded with holiday shoppers: Name a series that has too many books in it/went on too long.
Okay, even though I’ve enjoyed reading this series, I also feel like it could have been shorter than it actually is and that is A Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket. Again, the books are enjoyable, but they tend to drag sometimes and it just could have been shorter than 13 books.
10. The Grinch : Name a main character you HATE (No villians again!)
I honestly don’t have an answer for this…unless it was an actual villain because I haven’t really read many books where I hated the main character because I usually stop reading them. So right now, I don’t know. But if I remember one I will come back and update this answer.
Anyway, I hope you enjoyed this tag, if you have any tags that you would like me to do in future posts, let me know in the comments down below.
Janelle L. C.